Information provided here has not been updated within the last 12 months. Please contact the business prior to making travel plans.
Maquoketa Caves State Park
9688 CAVES RD Maquoketa, Iowa | Map It Storied & Scenic Visit Our Website Email Us 563.652.5833 563.652.5833
Contains more caves than any other state park. Trail system links the caves, limestone formations and scenic overlooks. Interpretive center provides geology of the cave formations and park history. The park will reopen to visitors on April 15, 2021, after being closed for more than a year due to COVID-19 safety precautions and winter bat hibernation. Because of the park's popularity and expected high crowds in the 2021 travel season, here are some tips and suggestions:
- Parking is limited. With less than 150 parking spots and as many as 1,500 people coming to the park on a summer weekend day, park staff recommends visiting mid-week or avoiding the peak window of 11-4 p.m. on weekends. Parking is only allowed in designated spots. If parking spots are not available, please come back at a later time.
- Same-day camping is now an option. Campers can now reserve as late as the day they plan to visit, with all campsites reservable at www.iowadnr.gov/maquoketacaves. The campground was recently renovated to offer more modern amenities.
- Be ready for enclosed stairways and boardwalks. Exploring the park involves a boardwalk system with enclosed railings in some places, along with staircases and limited walkways. Please be mindful of other visitors by keeping social distance when possible. Wash your hands and stay home if you are sick.
- Make the most of your trip. If the caves are busy, visit a few nearby attractions to fully enjoy your trip. Attractions within a 30-45 minute drive include Hurstville Interpretive Center, Bellevue State Park, Mines of Spain State Recreation Area and Wapsipinicon State Park.
- Download more information here.