For more information contact:
Jessica O’Riley – Iowa Tourism Office, Iowa Economic Development Authority
Digital launch reveals new cover for 2014 Travel Guide. Pre-order your copy now!
November 12, 2013 (Des Moines, Iowa) — This afternoon the Iowa Tourism Office revealed the new cover for the next Iowa Travel Guide. The winning image was unveiled through social media and displays more than a dozen photos from around the state. Each image is a reminder that Iowa offers a diverse range of tourism experiences.
The Travel Guide Cover Contest was launched in late October on Facebook. Amateur and professional photographers alike were asked to submit photos of their favorite Iowa location or event. Three cover images were then created from the more than 600 photos submitted and online voting ran November 4-8. More than a thousand people voted; 67 percent supported the winning cover.
Travelers can pre-order the free 2014 Iowa Travel Guide now on Travel Iowa’s Facebook page. The four-color, 176-page guide is Iowa’s comprehensive trip-planning publication. The guide will include five new editorial sections. Each is designed to inspire travelers to explore the state in new ways.
“This is the third year that travelers have had the chance to choose the cover of the Iowa Travel Guide. We’re excited about their enthusiasm for showing our state to the millions of people who travel here annually,” said Shawna Lode, manager of the Iowa Tourism Office. “The cover of the travel guide really is the state’s first impression, and we believe the winning cover showcases very well the best that our state has to offer.”
The new guide will be available in early 2014. A digital version will also be available at traveliowa.com.
Tourism in Iowa generates more than $7.6 billion in expenditures, employs 64,400 people statewide and generates $328 million in state taxes. The Iowa Tourism Office is part of the Iowa Economic Development Authority. For more information about Iowa tourism, visit traveliowa.com, call 800.345.IOWA or stop at any Iowa Welcome Center.
* * *
Images included in the cover, in order, left to right starting at the top:
- Bentonsport Bridge, Bentonsport – Submitted By: Audrey Staples
- Clear Lake Sunset, Clear Lake - Submitted By: Chris Barragy
- Reiman Gardens, Ames - Submitted By: Catherine Crooks
- Pinicon Ridge Park, Central City - Submitted By: Coby Somsen
- National Balloon Classic, Indianola - Submitted By: Cathleen Siebrecht
- Bridge on Loess Hill Byway, Thurman - Submitted By: Motorcycle Riding Across Iowa
- Grotto of the Redemption, West Bend - Submitted By: Kelly Still
- Boone and Scenic Valley Railroad Dinner Train, Boone - Submitted By: Kurt Phillips
- High Trestle Trail Bridge, Madrid - Submitted By: Deb Shoning
- Regatta at Lake Davenport, Davenport - Submitted By: Sue Sambdman
- Pella Tulip Time, Pella - Submitted By: Carla Eysink
- Fenelon Place Elevator, Dubuque - Submitted By: Dubuque Convention and Visitors Bureau
- RAGBRAI Bikers, Fort Madison- Submitted By: Charlie Litchfield